The church was first organized on Monday, April 4, 1904 as a congregation of 14 members became known as Crawfordville Missionary Baptist Church. The Rev. Arcemus Van Buren (A.V.) was called as the first pastor. The first building was completed in June of 1905 for a cost of $667.50. The first Sunday School class was organized in 1913.
Sunday School was reorganized in 1935 into six classes with 50 in average attendance. Classes were held in the church, nearby homes and under the trees in the church yard. In 1940 the lumber to build six Sunday School classrooms was donated and soon completed. Land for the pastorium was donated in 1947 and construction was completed in 1949.
On March 17, 1954 it was decided to begin planning for a new, larger, more modern church building. The cornerstone for the new sanctuary and educational building was laid on Sunday, Feb. 28, 1960. In 1975-1976 a new education building was added to the back of the existing building. During this time the church's name was officially changed to First Baptist Church of Crawfordville.
On Nov. 10, 1976, a faulty heating system started a fire that totally destroyed the sanctuary. Plans for a new sanctuary soon began. The first service in the new sanctuary was held on Mar. 19, 1978.
In 1995 plans were under way to construct a multi-purpose building which would include a large kitchen, a large fellowship/multi-use area and additional Sunday School rooms. The building was dedicated on April 30, 1999 and named the Christian Life Center (CLC).
In the fall of 2001, the Facilities Committee completed the task of renovating the sanctuary. This included a new color scheme, new pews, new carpet, new paint and a new organ to join the baby grand.